12.20.2009

History repeating itself?


A rare photo I have of my family before I was even thought of. My mom and dad's wedding many many years ago. My grandpa on the left my mom, dad and my grandma on the far right. My parents have been divorced since I was 5 and my grandma passed when I was 12. The photo is a tad random but it's one of the few I have of my grandmother.



Today I realized a touching fact...I sat knitting a washcloth listening to Christmas music thinking of my grandmother, because Bing Crosby always reminds me of her. And my thoughts kept drifting towards her for some reason. (My grandmother passed several years ago from cancer) And while I do think of her often I rarely get emotional about it any more I was afterall still young when she died. But today was different, I felt closer to her then I ever had. Why?

My Grandmother had 5 children, 3 boys and 2 girls to be exact. While they are not the same order as my children I too am so close to having 3 boys and 2 girls. And more significantly her youngest was born on Christmas Eve. Now I hardly doubt I will have this baby girl on the same day because I am notorious for going well past my due date. But it does make me feel closer to her in a way. Knowing years ago she was waiting patiently or impatiently for that matter,for the signs of labor. Watching 4 kids my aunts and uncles running around excited about the impending holiday. And feeling the strain of being so very pregnant in such a hectic time of the year. And to top it off my grandfather is a retired military man. At the time serving in the Navy...How is that for similarities?

It's just one of those times you wish you could sit back and talk to your loved one about life past and present, and where it has brought you. I guess for me these things will just help me to enjoy these last precious moments of being uncomfortably pregnant and feel closer to her then usual :)....

4 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

What a lovely story of your grandmother - it sounds like she was an amazing woman!

Whenever I knit I think of my grandma. She taught me how - she is still alive but since having a small stroke has found it difficult to knit.

Cathie said...

{hugs} Amanda, thank you also for your sweet message. it must be the time of season to be thinking of loved ones.
all the very best for your last precious pregnant moments ♥

mel @ loved handmade said...

I wasn't all that close to my nan, but it was so strange for me when she died. Every now & then I smell her very distinct perfume when I'm home alone & I can tell she's around. I have also noticed in recent years that out of all my cousins I look the most like her..I feel closer to her now than I did back then. How exciting for you with your new little addition to the family so close - enjoy!

Unknown said...

what a touching story. Thanks for sharing it. It's so nice that the little things that mean so much can be passed on from generation to generation. xo m.