8.05.2011

Granny Square top tutorial




This top is very versatile and can be made in any size and use most any yarn. The pattern starts after working the size of the granny square needed to fit across chest and slightly wrap around side. I made a 2t size with worsted yarn and H hook.


Make 2   *front and back


Front
Starting with a 9 row granny square.


Row 10..slip stitch to ch2 space, slip stitch in ch2 space 2x, ch2 2dc in the corner space work in pattern to 4th corner (leaving last side un-worked/neckline) work 3 dc in that corner.


Sleeve 1... 
Ch3 turn, work in pattern til you have 5/3dc groups ch2 turn hdc evenly across ending with 2hdc in the starting ch3 space. Ch2 turn repeat hdc row back down sleeve. Ch1 turn sc across working 2 sc in ch space below.


Work Sc evenly across top of granny square (this is the neck line) 


Sleeve 2...
Ch3 work granny pattern in next 4 ch1 spaces in 5th space 1 dc ch2 turn hdc evenly across working 2 hdc in ch3 space. Ch2  work  hdc across. Ch1 turn sc across 2 sc in corner and sc across top til you reach sc worked for neckline. (about 5 sc) slip stitch and fasten off.


Repeat for back

You now just need to join them together. You can pretty much do this any way you like  but I like to have a little give in between them so I have written up the way I like to do this. Hopefully it is not to confusing for you.


Joining side seams
Put right sides together. Starting with the top layer in the ch2 space of bottom corner. Make your starting loop pull through the top layer of ch2 space, Ch2 and slip stitch from front to back of bottom layer.  *Yarn over and dc into the next stitch in the top layer. Then from front to back in the bottom layer insert hook and pull yarn through both loops on hook. Repeat from * Work up to the bottom sleeve seam then sc the two sleeves together and fasten off.


Repeat for other side seam. 


Joining neck line..
Starting from top corner shoulder seam work the joins the same as side seam til a little after the sleeve for both side. (about 10-12 stitches)


Weave in all ends and turn right side out. 


To finish it off I like to add a few rows of hdc (unjoined) to the front and back of the bottom edge                   






                                      

Hope you enjoy and please let me know if I forgot something or if you have any questions...:)

33 comments:

My Bearded Pigeon said...

Beautiful! and your photos make it look even better!

Tas said...

So cute. Thanks for sharing.

mel @ loved said...

What a stunning colour too! Thanks for sharing, I have just the little girl in mind to make one of these for. Your baby sure is growing up, she's adorable..

lovestitch said...

Wow! Such a super cute idea! Thank you so much for your sharing, this tutorial is gorgeous!!!
Great weekend, xo

Sarah said...

beautiful!!! THank you for this.

Leah said...

This is so cute! I will definitely add it to my to-make list! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. Have a fab week!.

Anonymous said...

You got good points there, that's why I always check your blog, it looks like you are an expert in this field. keep up the fantastic work, My friend recommends your site.

My blog:
rachat credit banque www.rachatdecredit.net

Tania said...

You are a Great Big Sweetie for posting that how-to. Now I just need a how-to for getting a kid to wear the stuff I make...(grrrrr).

AnnaPK said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I love it!! I think I will make one for me and one for my daughter. Well, definitely one for me! Thank you!

Maria said...

Love this idea, so simple yet looks so cute

Guro said...

Such a cute and clever idea!
Thank you so much for sharing. I will have to follow your blog for future inspiration Ü

Diane said...

This is adorable! Thanks for sharing your pattern and wonderful photos!

Ellebo73 said...

You've done it again! Amazing!

Miliezebomb said...

Thanks for your pattern. I did a top for the daughter of a close friend of mine. You can see my version here: http://miliezebomb.canalblog.com/archives/2011/08/28/21881094.html

Christina said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I found your granny square sweater so sweet that I had to make one. Although, I did my own thing with it, I also wanted to give you the credit as I make my blog post! Happy day!

Sara said...

Hi Amanda. I really love this! A granny square top... How clever. I would love to link up and share this at Tangled Happy next week. Would you mind if I also shared one of you photos? I think our readers would love this too!

J A C Q U E L I N E said...

This is going to get made like right now! awesome!!!!!!!

Carol said...

Another visitor via Tangled Happy, what a great pattern for littlies, thank you for sharing it.
Carol xx

haber...haber... said...

me encanta su blog aprendo mucho... es maravilloso!!

jillian said...

This is an awesome top, I am wondering if anyone would have any ideas about making something similar for a newborn? How much smaller would I need to make it? Any ideas?

jillian

jillian said...

Hi Amanda,

Oh how I love this little top!! I learned how to make Granny Squares because of you, and I re-learned how tonight! ( I haven't picked up my hook in at least a month-well not productively anyway). Well I ended up answering my own question,although we will see if it is too big or my little one(4 months to go)needs to grow into it a bit ;) .
Thank you!!

Stomping in the Mud Play Group said...

Thanks for this pattern. I have just finished making matching ones for my two little granddaughters for Christmas, 18 months and 4 months.

creativejewishmom/sara said...

love it! sooooo simple and sweet. I made a vest with two big granny squares and small straps, a nice alternative to this pattern. here's the link:
http://www.creativejewishmom.com/2010/12/a-simple-crocheted-granny-square-vest.html

all the best!

Het Voske said...

I realy love this!
Is it oke that I translate this tutorial in Dutch? I will also share a link to your blog.

Greetings from Holland

Amanda Tipton said...

Yes Het that is fine :) Thank you!!

Jacqueline Mukweto said...

I made one! Great tutorial.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=379119165463319&set=a.265687536806483.59777.201607089881195&type=3&theater

MIV Online said...

I made one, too... thanks for sharing...http://miv-crochet.blogspot.ro/2012/08/vesta-granny-square.html
I made a sweater too: http://miv-crochet.blogspot.ro/2012/03/pulover-fetita.html

Agnieszka said...

I love the pattern and making one for my daughter right now :)

María Eugenia Roca Rodríguez said...

Ohhh... what a great idea! It's lovely. Do you think it could turn out fine also for adults?

Thanks for your help. :)

Ickle Trixter said...

I love this. I will attempt to make it......

Wish me luck!!!

Amarilis said...

Gracias por la idea.
Muy fácil.

Thanks. It's easy

Serena K said...

Hi. How do i crochet the granny square to make this top? Is there a pattern
?

obat penis said...

greetings all.
I am very happy with what I got right here, darting interesting information so that I mebuat curious to know all of the content in this blog.
I do not give anything except a thank you,
Here also I would like to share a bit of info about.
Alat bantu sex.
alat bantu sex wanita.
alat bantu sex pria.