9.12.2010

The Squared Vest

I think it's safe to say everyone loves simplicity in design. So when you can alter a simple shape and create something pretty darn cool. What's not to love? Which is why I wanted to see if this idea in my head would work and when it did, I of course had to share it immediately... This is so simple I don't even know if it's been done before but I haven't seen it and a quick scroll through Ravelry didn't produce anything so here is the pattern :) 

US Terms
 6mm/ J hook
worsted weight yarn
used Vanna's choice



 how-to / pattern

Basically you are working two Double crochet squares  and with the exception of the first round  you are not joining instead working back and forth creating a slit down  the middle of one side of the square (these will be your armholes)

You will need to make 2 squares, for a small  I  worked 13 rounds, but this is easily up sized with more rounds. This used about 3skeins of Vanna's choice.

Pattern
Row 1: ch3, 3 dc in first ch. *ch 2 , 4 dc in same space. Repeat from * twice more. slip stitch into starting chain.
Then slip stitch over following dc stitch to second dc.

Row 2 : ch2 turn, dc in previous slip stitch [2dc ch2 2dc] in ch2 space, *dc in all dc's [2dc ch2 2dc]  in ch2 space Repeat from * twice more. DC in last few dc's after 4th ch2 space (do not join). Ch2 turn.

Row 3 :  ch2 counts as dc, *dc in next dc and across to ch2 space [2dc ch2 2dc]
repeat from* around working dc's in remaining dc's after 4th ch2 space making sure to dc in the turning ch. remember it counts as dc.

repeat row 3 for square pattern til you've reached the size wanted.


I tried to get all angles of the vest to make assembly easy but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

To assemble you simply sew the two squares together down one side (creating the back), with the slit sides on the top, then fold each half over so that the slits are on opposite ends which will create the armholes once the top of each side is sewn together starting from the outside and working in.  I stopped 7 stitches short of each end toward the neck.weaved in all ends, and that's it!

25 comments:

Ooty said...

Brilliant!
=)

teddybearswednesday said...

OH my god Amanda! You've done it again.
I LLLLOOVE IT!! xo

Renee said...

Oh wow! I love it! It's beautiful! Very simple. I can't wait to have a go at it now!

becclebee said...

oooh. that is such a brillant idea! another thing to save in my "will try to make this when i get the chance pile". thanks for doing the tute!

Anonymous said...

I just had to start this for my granddaughter in VC's Dusty Blue tonight. Here it is 11:15 p.m. and I can't put it down. This reminds me of the little jackets I had been making for babies and hoped someone would come up with one for an adult and what do you know -- YOU DID!

Thanks much!

Cyn said...

Simple and beautiful, love it!

Tracey@bountifully said...

oh yes, brilliant this is, I am off to given this a go I think!

dillpickle said...

Very clever! I love how the diagonals work in it, too!

Unknown said...

awesome, always looking for new patterns. can't help myself I am a yarn junkie.

summerjarviswrites.com said...

That is so cute! Cant wait to try it.

nadine paduart said...

hello there. i just found out about this handsome little somthing... thank you for sharing it... now making it... ;)

Ramya said...

fantastic!! coupla questions amanda.

can i use any yarn and appropriate hook?

ramya

mery said...

ok. i love this!!! its so simple and the outcome looks beautiful!!! what inspired you to do it!? i love it!! im trying it out right now...

Samantha said...

I love this idea! It would make great Christmas gifts for several people on my list. They are all size L or XL, so how many rounds do you think I would need to do on the squares?

Tobi said...

Is there a ch 2 missing on Row 1 right before "slip stitch into starting chain"???

Carla Belyea said...

Love this design. Saw it on pinterest!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!you are great:)

It is simple and beautiful,too.

I'm love knit & crochet

Tamara/moogly said...

SUCH a smart idea! I included a link to this page on my blog this morning, for a list of great shrug patterns. Thanks for sharing this one! http://bit.ly/LwQgpd

Meoww said...

I did this one and it came out really beautifully! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I just came upon this pattern while searching for something different to crochet. I started making it right away and have finished one square already. I'm using a variegated thicker yarn and a size "L" hook. It's coming along beautifully!

Thanks for posting the pattern!

Stephanie said...

I Love your pattern, saved to "my que" and started working on it asap. Completed 1square at 19 rounds using 4ply and a J hook. I think this will be an XL since I added 2 rnds to your 13rnds per size, 15=Med, 17=Large, ect. Thanks so much for sharing!

Lee Ann said...

This looks great! Thank you very much for sharing! :). :)

______
Lee Ann H
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Blog
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Website (crochet names and rosary patterns)

Unknown said...

Hello! I believe that it is missing. I am halfway through making the vest and can't wait to see the results.

jasonbob said...

hermes
jordan shoes
yeezy 350
yeezy 500
kobe byrant shoes
kyrie 7 shoes
yeezy
jordan shoes
hermes handbags
yeezy

Boiling Pot said...

@Tobi. You were wondering about a missing 2 chain instruction on Row 1. I was thinking the same thing.

I know that no one is perfect, really I do understand - but crochet patterns are notorious for having mistakes or omissions. I remember the "old days" (pre-internet) when all patterns were in magazines and little booklets you bought in yarn stores, and they were written up by professionals.