6.16.2009

A favorite cookie and a Watermelon recipe

As I mentioned earlier despite the heat I braved the oven and baked up some of our family favorite cookies...Reese's chewy chocolate cookies, they are so yummy but I am paying for it now because the house is warmer then it should be....

So next time I get the urge to make something I have decided to stick to cooler, maybe healthier things like Watermelon Sherbet this looks really good, I guess I have to go out and get a watermelon or two so I can try this I know this kids would love it and it would help cool us all down that's for sure...Found this one at farmers almanac, makes me want to do some serious summer recipe searches. Keep the cold snacks coming!!!

Watermelon Sherbet
2 ¼ pounds seeded, cubed watermelon
1 cup superfine sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup cold water
2 egg whites

Puree three quarters of the watermelon in food processor. Mash remaining watermelon on plate (to give sherbet more texture). Stir sugar, lemon juice, and water in saucepan over very low heat until sugar dissolves and syrup is clear. Mix watermelon puree, mashed watermelon, and syrup mixture in large bowl. Pour into freezer container and freeze for 1 to 1 ½ hours until edges start to set. Beat the mixture and then return to freezer for another hour. Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Beat ice mixture again and fold in egg whites. Return to freezer for one more hour. Beat once more and freeze until firm. Before serving, place sherbet in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to soften.

No comments: