4.16.2010

Back to basics...



I am going through a bit of a cleanse these days....Mainly in the Diet side of things but also with household goods ( I guess it's sometimes easier to get rid of things then to haul them in the house from the garage). Being homeless for the better part of this year so far really gave us the oppurtunity to  indulge in crappy food choices. And oh my goodness we didn't pass it up, although I prefer the healthier way it just wasn't really feasible with hotel life.

So now that we are primarily settled in the new house. I have gotten back to basics with food. Started cooking fresh bread, making yogurt and green smoothies everyday. Cut out most processed foods..Although I tend to sneak in a box of pasta mix with dinner if I don't get the chance to make bread or my stinking fridge freezes the lettuce I had for a salad...Grrrr....


And even though I am not Vegetarian ecoMILF said it best when it comes to your relationship with food. If you haven't read it yet, I recommend it.  I just can't forget all this healthy living stuff is a process and I am not nearly there yet but I feel 10x better in my daily life knowing that I am climbing that ladder to healthy living one step at a time.


My green smoothie recipe:  Frozen banana, handful of fresh spinach, fresh pineapple slices, 1/2 cup OJ 1/2 cup water, and a handful of ice cubes.

I use this Yogurt Maker: Salton Yogurt Maker  ( if you keep an eye out on Amazon when they get them back in stock you can get one for $15) And I know it's easy to go all homemade with yogurt but this is just way easier for me since I am usually doing 10 things in the kitchen anyways :P

And this is our go  to easy peasy bread machine bread for this week
I use more oatmeal then the recipe calls for.

 1 cup water

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 cups  bread flour

3/4 cup oatmeal, uncooked

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds (and looks) delicious and wholesome. Your bread is going in my machine tomorrow. Glad you're starting to feel settled. xo